Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Bloomington

I left Indianapolis on Sunday. The road out of Indy for about 50 miles was flat & smooth & I made the best time as of yet, but then about 10 miles out of Bloomington it became these giant hills. I pulled over when it got dark because I couldnt see the shoulder on the road anymore, even though I was only 5 miles outside of Bloomington. (literally!) I slept in this thorny-ass field where I could hear all these coyotes howling & there were definitely ticks on me. guh

When I first arrived in Bton, I was tired & cranky & awkward & I had difficulty making things happen smoothly, but I took a nap in a park, hung out outside the food co-op near the waiting for the bike project to open. After several hours, one of the guys who volunteers at the bike project sat down next to me & offered me a place to stay. Yesssss
They build tall bikes & long bikes & Edwin has turned his handlebars into a SLINGSHOT, capable of firing mini projectiles at asshole drivers.

& now... In Dayton, there was a show at the DDC where I met a bunch of awesome ladies from a Bton band, & now that I'm here, Leah is hanging out with me & showing me around. I think I'm going to go on a mini (de)tour with her to Tennessee, a little road trip will be a nice change of pace. I think the plan is: pile five ladies into a car & take everything by storm. Deadly force will be used.
I miss you guys! I collected a lot of awesome butterflies, & I did start rdkl diary, but I dont have my camera with me. I dont know when I'm leaving Bton. I'll ride to chicago next.
Hey! This trip is awesome! I've been on the road over a month now, & ridden almost 500 miles. Thanks so much to everyone who helped me!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

you hit up Matte while in Bloomington? i believe i have his phone number if you want it.

Marc said...

You are such the hero (dorky Marc, from Bela Dubby). What a cool, grassroots thing to do. Shows you can live free in a cubicle nation. Love your blog posts. FYI -- Bloomington (I believe) is where they filmed "Breaking Away", film in which this quirky actor (WHAT was his name?) played a local cyclist who pretended he was Italian and shaved his legs.

good lucks,
Marc

(Cora!) said...

oh carrie, i found you! goodness i miss you, and think thoughts of safety speed and luck at you every day -- i've been really busy planning my move, and just got back from a weeklong vacation in north carolina with jacob -- the mountain blueberries had just ripened, and we spent a day climbing barefoot over cliffs ripping the berries straight off the bushes with our lips -- you would have loved it. Bloomington sounds lovely, and i'm glad Dayton showed you a good time. Give me a call when you're in a good place! love.